There is so much in the media about the flu and now the coronavirus. I'm sick of getting alerts on my phone, I'm not interested in watching the news and I've taken a break from social media. I work in healthcare so I'm required to check my work emails and that's becoming too much. Simply because I want to sleep peacefully at night. I do what I need to do to protect my mental space. It's great to be aware of what's going on but I don't want to be so consumed with all these things that I'm freaking out, paranoid, and scared to live my life day to day.
Am I taking extra precaution? No, I'm doing what I've been doing. Since changing my lifestyle almost five years ago. I haven't had any problems with the common cold, flu, etc. My son is in daycare so every now and then he'll come home with a runny nose or a dry cough. I personally think the top ways to be free from all this stuff that's going around is a healthy diet, minimum use of toxic products, washing your hands frequently and keeping a clean space.
Here's what I do day to day:
1. Drink plenty of water with fresh lemon every single day for last 4.5 years.
2. Eat a lot of fresh fruit and veggies. I put them in my smoothies, have it as a snack or with a meal.
3. I put my Breville Juicer to work. I make my own grapefruit juice, orange juice, and green juice. Citrus fruit are great for boosting the immune system and or keeping the immune system strong. Most people turn to Vitamin C after they've caught a cold. But it's the daily habits that keep us healthy.
4. I wash my hands FREQUENTLY. All day everyday. My son knows to wash his hands after he uses the restroom, before he eats, before he assist in the kitchen. Right before he leaves school for day. Always. No excuses. It's so important to teach these things at an early age. There are too may adults walking around coughing and sneezing in their hands then touching stuff. Or not covering their mouths at all. YUCK!
5. I try to use cleaning products with natural ingredients and I prefer products that are clear. The stronger the scent and darker the color the more chemicals are used for the product to be produced. I use Seventh Generation dish washing liquid and laundry detergent. They formulate without the use of synthetic fragrances, dyes, or artificial brighteners. My favorite candle company is The Alyssa Collection. Their products are Hypo-Allergenic, Lead, Zinc, and Alcohol-Free. I use Mrs. Meyers cleaning products which are made with plant derived ingredients and essential oils.
There is so much to think about when it comes to keeping our immune systems in tact. The world gives us too much pollution as it is. Let's do better with what we use in our homes!
Please know I'm not a physician, dietitian, nutritionist, etc. I'm simply sharing what works for me and my family.